[Samba] samba 3, ADS, kerberos, keytab problem - Additional pre-authentication required

Markus Feilner lists at feilner-it.net
Tue Mar 16 14:59:27 GMT 2004

Hello List,
I am (unsuccessfully) trying to automatically get a valid kerberos
ticket for my linux box. I have - in a test environment:

 - a windows 2000 server with Active directory and DNS properly set up.
 - a suse linux 9.0 router with samba3.0.2.rc.1 and heimdal 0.6.-67.
 - I am able to join the domain and get a valid ticket through kinit, if
I enter the Administrator's password or the userdata with password from
some account in the Administrator group.
 - Filetransfer and Name services and winbind work flawlessly, as long
as there is a valid ticket.

I have googled and read in mailing lists, and became good advice (thanks
chris!) on how to get a ticket wih a cronjob and a keytab file:

- On the ADS-KDC I created a user, to whose account the new kerberos
principal is to be mapped,
- which I did by typing "ktpass -princ host/hostname at REALM -mapuser
username -pass password -out keyfile", like microsoft explains on their
techinfo sites.
- Then I transferred the keyfile to the linux box and tried to use it
for kinit with the -k and -t switches.

BUT: All I got is: Additional pre-authentication required.
(which seems to be the least explanatory of all samba errors...)

Here follow my tries: