[Samba] Problem with samba3 BDC

M. Vancl mvancl at setuza.cz
Mon Mar 15 11:58:12 GMT 2004

Hi,

I have successfully installed and configured Samba 3.0.2 PDC & BDC / ldap
master & slave servers in local network. Then I moved BDC to another site
(with WAN connectivity). Now I discovered that workstations on this site
(with BDC) are not able to join domain. After some investigations (also
tcpdump) I found out that problem is that BDC don't reply to NBNS requests
for name MYDOMAIN<1b> .
But I'm not able to find my mistake. Situation is little uncommon, because
on that lan exist workroup with the same name as my domain. But I had done
experiment with similar situation on my primary site with no problem.

Relevant parts from smb.conf on BDC are:

netbios name = MYBDC
workgroup = MYDOMAIN
security = user
domain logons = yes
preferred master = yes
domain master = no
local master = yes
os level = 33
encrypt passwords = yes
passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://localhost"

Can anybody help me ?

Thanks

M. Vancl