[Samba] Problem with samba3 BDC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Mar 15 12:22:00 GMT 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 12:58:12PM +0100, M. Vancl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have successfully installed and configured Samba 3.0.2 PDC & BDC / ldap
> master & slave servers in local network. Then I moved BDC to another site
> (with WAN connectivity). Now I discovered that workstations on this site
> (with BDC) are not able to join domain. After some investigations (also
> tcpdump) I found out that problem is that BDC don't reply to NBNS requests
> for name MYDOMAIN<1b> .
> But I'm not able to find my mistake. Situation is little uncommon, because
> on that lan exist workroup with the same name as my domain. But I had done
> experiment with similar situation on my primary site with no problem.
>
> Relevant parts from smb.conf on BDC are:
>
> netbios name = MYBDC
> workgroup = MYDOMAIN
> security = user
> domain logons = yes
> preferred master = yes
> domain master = no

See below.  Se this to yes.

> local master = yes
> os level = 33
> encrypt passwords = yes
> passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://localhost"
>
> Can anybody help me ?

If the remote LAN cannot 'see' (in the netbios sense) your main PDC,
make the remote 'DC' a PDC.  It will then act on the local read-only
LDAP slave, and update the LDAP master when it needs to.

make sure your LDAP slave is setup for update referrals.

Also see the 'ldap replication sleep' parameter.

Andrew Bartlett