[Samba] Roaming profiles on a small network

Peter Ulrich Kruppa kruppa at pukruppa.net
Sun Mar 14 14:19:35 GMT 2004

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Matt Janes wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I intend to run an old pentium 133 as a linux-based fileserver on my home
> network (I have to use windows for my main machine and laptop!)  Im having
> great diffiuculty synching the data, email, etc on my laptop and desktop, so
> I thought I might configure samba to act as a DC and use roaming profiles to
> make sure that my data is always synched.
Last summer I did a setup like this for learning purposes on a
P75 with 16MB RAM and it worked (not really fast of course, but
it was ok.).
It even worked with more then two machines and users.

> My question is this: is it worth
> the effort?
Yes, if you want to learn something about Linux and networking,
but this will need some time and a lot of trial and error.

The simplier way would be to use a webmail account and to save
your files on a USB stick, which can be plugged in and out
everywhere.

Regards,

Uli.