[Samba] Weird: Samba 3.0.2a (PDC) and OpenLDAP = Windows can't logon to PDC

Joost van der Locht joost at vanderlocht.com
Sat Mar 13 18:04:23 GMT 2004

Hello

I have a weird problem. I have installed on a Fedora Core 1 server the
following:
Samba 3.0.2a
Openldap 2.1.22
Smbldaptools 0.8.4

Everything works for this setup until I try to logon to the domain from
a Windows XP Pro workstation.

I can:
- join the domain
- create users with the smbldap tools
- Logon to Linux localy
- use smbclient tools
- Access shares from my Windows XP (when logged on localy)
- See my personal homedirectory and mapped to a personal share

I Can't
- Logon to the domain.

When I try to do that Windows gives the error:
The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are
correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be
typed using the correct case.

I tried it with a non ldap setup and then it seemed to work.

Now with ldap it doesn't.
As far as I could monitor the log files I see a SUCCEED comming up when
it checks the ldap directory. But still no luck logging in.

What is wrong? I followed every instructions I could find online
regarding ldap.....

Greetings

Joost