[Samba] smbmount

Hartmut Krummrei hartmutkrummrei at nwn.de
Sat Mar 13 11:30:00 GMT 2004

Hi,

Problem: I want a normal user to mount a Windows share. Therfor I
created a "device"-icon on his desktop and inserted a line in fstab:

//karin/KARIN-D /home/hartmut/karin-d smbfs noauto,user,exec,rw 0 0

and everything worked fine with Suse 7.3. I don?t know which smb-version
they had. Now with Suse 9.0 (smbd -V gives 2.2.8a-Suse) it works not:
only root can do! Or otherwise: "smbmount must not run in suid-mode".
Root can mount the share, but why not a normal user. It even does not
work with username%password and so on ... I didn?t find anything in
newsgroups and on samba.org. Do you know, how it is done?

Best regards

Hartmut Krummrei