[Samba] Re: Win client can print if printer manually created but notwhen auto driver installed

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Mar 12 21:04:43 GMT 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Mark wrote:

> "Lee Thao" <lthao at elmbrook.org> wrote in message
> news:200403121533.i2CFX70e014207 at linuxmail.elmbrook.org...
> > Is this a samba issue or cups?  I can print from a client just fine if I
> > install a local printer attached to a local smb port
> > (\\server\printershare).  But when I create a "network" printer (using apw
> > or double clicking on printershare in explorer), all I get for a test page
> > (or from anything else actually) is a blank page with three non-alpha,
> greek
> > lookin chars in the upper right.  What gives?
>
> If you have a small network, then stick with the local drivers.  It's simple
> and it works.  If you have hundreds or thousands of users, then buy a copy
> of "The Official Samba-3 HowTo and Reference Guide".  Then settle down for a
> lot of reading and a lot of configuration and a lot of testing.  It isn't
> simple, but it is potentially vey powerful.
>
> Disclaimer:  I use the local driver method.  I did buy the book and read all
> about the fantastic new printing abilities in Samba-3, but concluded the
> effort wouldn't be worth it for my 25 user network. So in fact, I have never
> used the method where drivers are automatically downloaded.

The information provided in Chapter 6 of my new book, "Samba-3 by Example"
will be very helpful in solving printing issues. This chapter provide
detailed step-by-step procedures for implementing tightly integrated
desktops using Windows XP Professional as a Samba domain client.

The new book can be ordered from Amazon.Com today and will ship commencing
March 26th.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra