[Samba] Problem with ACLs after upgrade to 3.02

Shawn Wright swright at sls.bc.ca
Fri Mar 12 17:18:05 GMT 2004

I'm trying to work out an upgrade path for upgrading our 2.2.8a
servers to 3.x, and have run into the following problem. (surely
someone has documented this?!)

Freshly loaded Mandrake 9.2 server using XFS with ACL
support. Samba 3.0.2a compiled with:

--with-winbind --with-acl-support --with-quotas

The stock 2.2.8a Mandrake RPMS were installed and tested
first. Then the binaries from 3.0.2a were copied over. After
adjusting for different conf and var locations, 3.0.2a starts
successfully, and testparm shows the smb.conf to be ok. Re-
joining the domain using net join worked fine.
Can connect as domain admin to a share to which domain
admins are designated "admin user".
I can successfully edit existing permissions for
user,group,other from Win2K. But any operations (from win2k
client) which attempt to add an ACL for a domain user or group
to a file fail with 'access denied'. In addition, attempting to add
permissions for a local unix user or group show an empty list -
just "everyone".

The above operations work on 2.2.8a using the same config,
with the exception of the recursive permissions problem I
reported earlier (to which nobody responded, making me
wonder if anyone else actually uses ACLs for domain accounts
on samba...).

Here's the conf file:

[global]
	hosts allow = 10. 139.142.66. 127.
	winbind uid = 10000-20000
	max xmit = 65535
	allow hosts = 139.142.66. 10.
	dns proxy = no
	netbios name = PROXY4
	oplocks = yes
	inherit permissions = yes
	workgroup = SHAWNIGAN
	debug level = 3
	security = domain
	getwd cache = yes
	winbind separator = +
	log level = 10
	read raw = yes
	write raw = yes
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
SO_RCVBUF=16384 SO_SNDBUF=16384
	wins server = 139.142.66.1
	create mask = 0700
	domain master = no