[Samba] Samba and LDAP backend - howto docs problems?

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Thu Mar 11 12:11:38 GMT 2004

John H Terpstra wrote:

> 3. Just sending configuration files can actually aggrevate someone's
> problem. Example configuration files must be sent with clear "Do this,
> then this, then this ..." type guidance.

Access to a working configuration file is probably the fastest way I
find to learn a new product or service. I can look at the config file,
and ask "how exactly does this work", and from it get virtually all the
answers I need. The fact that there is no complete smb.conf example form
Samba + LDAP was a huge hinderance to my quest to get the thing right.

Excessive documentation is one of the biggest problems I have found with
software projects, both open source and commercial. People begin skim
reading them because they just go on too long, or by the time you've
reached chapter 14, you forgot that little snippet of information that
was mentioned in chapter 2.

Regards,
Graham