[Samba] Samba and LDAP backend - howto docs problems?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Mar 11 06:02:15 GMT 2004

Craig,

Thanks for your well thought out illumination on this. Your comments are
right on.

I must confess that I was out to draw out from our users what their
experience and frustrations are. As you know, I encourage feedback.

Feedback demonstrates how users approach the problem of digging themselves
out of a dark hole.

While we are in a hole, there is no light and all logic escapes us.
Because we do not understand the right terms yet, we cannot find anything
that we might be looking for. Disparate software applications that are
completely un-related and do not work the way we want appear to violate
our sense of justice. In the end we want to get even with the foolhardy
critters that wrote the software.

One user wrote to me claiming that Samba is the first open source
application that forces its users to use LDAP. Well, you know that is not
true. LDAP seems like the right thing to replace MS Active Directory so
that proves that you need LDAP - so the thinking goes.

So in wrapping up, here is what I have learned from the feedback:

1. There is a need for two types of information:

	- Purely informative about HOW something works

	- Purely example of how to implement a solution

2. Example implementation information needs to be painfully clear and
comprehensive.

3. Just sending configuration files can actually aggrevate someone's
problem. Example configuration files must be sent with clear "Do this,
then this, then this ..." type guidance.

4. One of the most important aspects of a book is the Index at the rear of
the book.

I hope that "Samba-3 by Example" will meet with more positive approval as
a result of implementing the lessons learned from feedback.

Now so far as changes to how Samba works goes, the forum for making any
points for adoption in Samba are:

	b) The #samba-technical IRC channel
	c) Bug reports to https://bugzilla.samba.org

Oh, before I forget: If you absolutely want someone to seriously consider
your recommendations/bug report/complaints - Bugzilla is your vehicle.

Craig, again thanks for crystallizing the issues.

Cheers,
John T.

--
John H Terpstra