[Samba] Samba and LDAP backend - howto docs problems?

RRuegner robert at ruegner.org
Thu Mar 11 00:08:44 GMT 2004

Graham Leggett schrieb:

> RRuegner wrote:
>
>> Hi, yes the tools should be better described as they are in the smb
>> sources
>> i found it very hard at my first setup ldap smb.
>> On the other Hand many setups are thinkable with ldap, a description
>> to the ldap populate is only one way  ( fast , working )
>> to come to a working smb ldap pdc
>

> The LDAP capability is very useful, which is why I am trying to solve
> the problems, but the lack of usability is a complete showstopper. I
> cannot install a system that if something goes wrong in six months time,
> nobody will have a clue on how to fix it.
>
> I have been looking at the smbldap-tools package, and cannot believe at
> how difficult it is to set up. Most of the information in the
> smbldap_conf.pm file is already specified in the smb.conf file - this
> means that down the line when somebody else changes smb.conf, things
> will stop working, and they won't know why.
>
> The functionality provided by smbldap-tools should be built into Samba
>
>> from scratch, I don't see why there is such a need to jump through hoops
>
> like this.
>
> Regards,
> Graham
> --

Hi, as you heard the new Book is on the way , samba is very dynamic this
times so i found that this running in a very short time if you think
about the big work about doku is to do.
i just setup a big smb ldap bdc vpn enviroment , and my failures give me
more understand to ldap and windows .
But all info is just right now on the web , for sure in different places
i had to read technet , ldap faq and idealix doku so iam happy to see
the book.
After all i will have to write a doku to my setup system which will host
over 500 users , but now as iam going to all my failures i am not afraid
to write it.
And i have to do it in german and in english .... have you ever tried to
translate tec things in german *grins.
dont be afraid , all the stuff i tested worked very nice so push your
work and make users happy with their brand new samba.
Regards