[Samba] Samba and LDAP backend - howto docs problems?

Andreas andreas at conectiva.com.br
Thu Mar 11 13:21:21 GMT 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 05:03:58PM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> The functionality provided by smbldap-tools should be built into Samba
> from scratch, I don't see why there is such a need to jump through hoops
> like this.

Hmm, wait a minute. The thing is that there are two sources of user information
in this case. Samba takes care of theirs, but there is also the unix source of
user information (like homeDir, uidnumber, gidnumber, etc). I think samba is
just being careful to not disturb the unix part (for example, it requires
ldap delete dn to be true to completely delete the user dn instead of only the
samba attributes).
This philosophy has its merits: only touch what is yours. But it can lead to
dificulties down the road, yes.