[Samba] System lockups with CIFS

Dexter Filmore Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de
Wed Mar 10 13:19:26 GMT 2004

I am having *exactly* the same problem, as soon as I find time I will strace a
cp command from a linux client. I already contacted the maintainer (copy is on
this list).
Since it occurs in Windows, too, it rather seems to be a bug in the kernel
code or Samba. (I suspected client first)
What type of hard disk(s) do you have in that server?
Which version of CIFS VFS and mount.cifs?

I've got 2.63 stock and mount.cifs 1.1, upgraded the server kernel's CIFS to
cifs-1.0.4-2.6 but not tested yet. (tho I understodd this only affects client
side anyway, Samba should be resonsible for the server side handling)

As CIFS is twice as fast as smbfs and handles special chars properly (as
opposed to smbfs which drove me nuts) I'd like to keep it.