[Samba] Remote Windows registry read access from Linux?

Peter Valdemar Mørch swp5jhu02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Mar 10 06:55:17 GMT 2004

Peter Valdemar Mørch swp5jhu02-at-sneakemail.com |Lists| wrote:
> Any links to *any* useful Linux information?

After ending my investigation, it looks like it indeed is possible. It
seems samba-tng has remote repository access, though I didn't try it.
Check out e.g.
"REGEDIT Commands" under
http://www.samba-tng.org/docs/tng/htmldocs/rpcclient.8.html

Seems to do what I wanted, right?

I decided I really needed WMI access for it to be really useful. And WMI
access isn't possible from Linux. At least nobody seems to know how to
do it.

Just wanted to make my investigation results available for anybody else
on the same quest.

Also, it seems repository access was once possible with samba itself!
Look in:
source/rpcclient/cmd_reg.c
and see the commented-out code...
I posted a thread (also) about this called "Windows WMI (over DCE/RPC)
with Samba?" on the samba-technical mailing list.

Peter

--
Peter Valdemar Mørch
http://www.morch.com