[Samba] Samba and LDAP backend - howto docs problems?

Norman Dressler ndressler at dinmar.com
Wed Mar 10 00:36:27 GMT 2004

I had this problem too and found the solution.  In your LDAP directory, you
should have a domain entry for your domain.  Make sure the sambaSID of that
domain matches the first part of the sambaSID of the user you are using to
connect with.  This is assuming you are using the new schema.

This can also be a symptom of not having the guest account properly mapped to
a nobody or similar account.  Could also happen if you don't have a 'root'
account in your ldap directory.  You must also have the proper configurations
for the Domain groups like Domain Users and Domain Guests, etc.

As you can see, I had to learn the hard (best?) way -- trial and error.  I've
been bitten by all of them at one time or another.

Norm