[Samba] Samba and LDAP backend - howto docs problems?

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Wed Mar 10 00:03:09 GMT 2004

John H Terpstra wrote:

>>Looking at the LDAP logs, I see that Samba is trying to do the following
>>LDAP search:
>>(&(&(uid=admin)(objectClass=sambaSamAccount))(objectClass=sambaSamAccount))
>>
>>This search fails, because the ldif displayed in the howto does not
>>include the sambaSamAccount objectclass in the admin object:

It seems the docs are describing setup for Samba v2.2, while I am using
v3.0.

Are there docs for v3.0 anywhere?

> Have you also checked chapter 2 of TOSHARG (The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and
> Reference Guide)?

I think so. The docs I am looking at are at
http://samba.mirror.ac.uk/samba/docs/man/, which is apparently what
you're referring to, though the docs seem to be for v2.2.

> Have you set up your scripts?
> 	- add user script
> 	- delete user script
> 	- add machine script
> 	- add group script
> 	- delete group script
> 	- add user to group script
> 	- etc.
>
> Have you test driven each manually to prove that it works?

There is no reference to scripts in the docs for samldap, and I see no
error messages saying that anything is missing.

> Have you configured nss_ldap and proven that it works?
> 	ie: getent passwd
> 	    getent group

Not yet - I don't want to fiddle with anything unix wise until I get
Samba working. Is it required for Samba to work?

> Does:
> 	pdbedit -Lw
>
> list the users in the old smbpasswd format?

No, it returns nothing (an empty list).

Regards,
Graham