[Samba] Samba and LDAP backend - howto docs problems?

Diego Julian Remolina dijuremo at math.gatech.edu
Wed Mar 10 00:01:14 GMT 2004

I also noticed this problem.  I do not know why it happens, but did
noticed the following which may help:

I already have a few machines in an old samba-2.2.8 production
environment.  Those machines are already in dns, nis netgoups, etc.

My new samba 3.0.2a does not restrict to any hosts yet.  So if I run the
command:
/opt/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd -a -m mathpc22$  Then it succeds:
oak:/etc/openldap/ldif # /opt/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd -a -m mathpc22$
Added user mathpc22$.

while if I use a new hostname not listed in my dns/netgroups tables then
it fails
oak:/tmp/samba-3.0.2/source # /opt/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd -a -m diego
Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user diego$.
Failed to modify password entry for user diego$

I am leaving the office right (oh man is 7pm, another 12 hour work day)
now so I will try to find out if it wants the machine in dns or netgroups
and will post again to the list to let you know what I find out.

Diego