[Samba] What setting determines filename character mapping?

tom tom.robinson at constantstream.com
Sat Mar 6 02:04:29 GMT 2004

Hi,

I'm running samba 3.0.0-15 and have noticed that when users save some
files the filenames get transposed. This is usually when they use
special characters like the '£' (transposed to '#'). Looking at my
smb.conf I found the following settings:

# testparm -v | grep -e char -e code

        dos charset = CP850
        unix charset = UTF-8
        display charset = LOCALE
        unicode = Yes
        mangling char = ~

After consulting the documentation, I'm still not sure what the problem
is. Samba 3 talks UTF on the wire and all the clients are Win XP (bar
one W95 machine from which no user writes to the samba server). From
what I read in the manual I gather that Win XP also talks UTF on the
wire. What setting does the actual character mapping for writing the
filenames on the samba server?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Tom

__--__-- There is no TRUTH. There is no REALITY. There is no
CONSISTENCY. There are no ABSOLUTE STATEMENTS. I'm very probably wrong.
----