[Samba] samba3 smbpasswd search filter

Lukas Meyer lukas at msys.ch
Fri Mar 5 08:00:22 GMT 2004

Hi list

I set up a samba 3 PDC with ldap authentification. Now i have some
troubles concerning the machine account creation on the fly while
joining the domain. I'm using the smbldap-tools 8.4 for user creation.
According to the smbldap-tools howto and the samba3-ldap howto:
http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb/smb-ldap-3-howto.html, the ordinary way
of creating a machine account is: /path/to/smbldap-tools/smbldap-useradd
-w machinename$

That works without any problem but I can't join the domain. Now I could
find the problem why it won't work. If I call smbpasswd to change the
machines password in debug mode. I can see that this script has this
search filter for ldap entries:

(&(uid=machinename$)(objectclass=sambaSamAccount))

However the entry that was done by the smbldap-useradd -w hasn't any
objectclass sambaSamAccount. And as i thought after adding a
sambaSamAccount objectclass to this machine account, I could join the
domain. So where's the fault? I think the machine account don't need any
objectclass sambaSamAccount so I have to change the search filter for
smbpasswd or samba? And how to do this?

I really welcome any suggestions

best regards
Lukas