[Samba] Samba printing and page counting

Matthew Lowe mlowe at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 4 21:31:46 GMT 2004

Hi, I'm running Samba printing services to share a printer on my Linux box with a network of windows machines. Everything works great. The only problem I am having is that I cannot count the number of pages printed by each user.

My printers section looks like this:
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   guest ok = no
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = yes
   public = no
   create mask = 0700
   print command = lpr -P %p -o raw %s -r -J "%m.%J"
   lpq command = lpstat -o %p
   lprm command = cancel %p-%j

If I had a script or escape sequence that would specify the number of pages of the print document I would have no problem writing a script to keep track of everything else. The easiest solution I see to my problem is if samba has a nice escape sequence, like %P or something, or if there was a little script I could pass the spool document to and it'd tell me. Since I'm printing raw, and the windows drivers are pcl, I doubt there's any script that would work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Matt