[Samba] Repost - Windows access of Samba share

Mike Westkamper mjwestkamper at weiinc.com
Thu Mar 4 20:06:03 GMT 2004

I am new to the list so my problem is likely redundant, however I have tried
to resolve it myself, to no avail.

I am using Samba on a remote Linux system to offer Windows clients access to
data being collected by a real-time system. The real-time data collection
systems are built on the RH 8 Linux distribution. I also have one that was
built using the RH Fedora Core 1 distribution. The data collection software
runs as root (yes I do know its not the best way but for a number of reasons
it is most convenient and the system ONLY runs the one application).

This system is an isolated subnet with only 6 boxes, 5 are Linux data
collection systems and the 6th is a Windows 2000 GUI box.

The problem arises when Windows client try's to access the data. It gets an
"Access Denied" message.

>From the default smb.conf - the following are my changes from the default...

workgroup = WORKGROUP

hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.

security = share

[filestore]
        comment = Digital Data Files
        path = /filestore
        public = yes
        writable = yes
        create mask = 0777
        directory mode = 0777

I am not a Linux guru, however is do have some experience with both Samba
and Linux.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike