[Samba] Automounting Samba shares for Linux clients?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Mar 4 05:21:01 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 18:38, Travis L. Bean wrote:
> Is there a way to configure the latest version of Samba to automount
> shares when a Linux client logs into a Samba PDC?  I have searched high
> and low trying to find an answer to this and the only information I have
> found is using pam_mount (which I have yet to get working correctly) or
> NFS.  When searching for an answer, I came across comments such as "NFS
> is the best way to mount shares in a Unix to Unix environment".  Is this
> true and if so why? I would like to just have a Samba server for my
> Windows and Linux clients and not have to deal with a separate NFS
> server.  I would appreciate any information on how allow my Linux
> clients have their home directories and other Samba shares automounted
> every time they log in to the server (and have the authentication take
> place through LDAP).
---
man mount (pay attention to 'user' options)

Windows clients should run logon scripts to mount directories on their
systems.

There is no reason to hold a debate on NFS vs. SMB mounts for Linux
clients. There are vast differences between file & group ownership, file
locks, and it's far better to know how to use both and be knowledgable
enough to draw your own conclusions - who better to understand your
needs and your setup than you?

Craig