[Samba] make fails on Solaris building include/proto.h

Mark Day Mark.Day at mrsc.ucsf.edu
Tue Mar 2 21:32:48 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> | Does anyone have a suggesion on what to try next?
> | Can anyone verify that they've successfully built Samba
> | 3.0.2 on Solaris 8 or 9?
>
> Make sure that /usr/usb is not in your path.

Thanks for the suggestion.  This was in fact my problem.
In the source/script/mkproto.sh script, the command "tr" appears
in a pipeline, and /usr/bin/tr performs the correct translation,
and /usr/ucb/tr does not.  After knowing what to look for, I was
able to locate a problem in bugzilla.  So it's a known issue, and
although work arounds were suggested, the final word seems to be
"don't have /usr/ucb in your path".  While this is a simple enough
fix, I spent several hours reading documentation and searching with
google, and still didn't manage to come across the requirement.

Hopefully the next person will now be able to find the solution
in the mailing list archives.

Mark