[Samba] Problems since upgrading 2.2 to 3

Alex Meaden alex at xelam.net
Tue Mar 2 21:14:49 GMT 2004

Hello,
I am running Debian on an i386 machine. I recently upgraded to Debian
Testing, which upgraded Samba from 2.2 to 3.0.2. Since then, I have been
having several problems. The Samba server is used as a PDC for Windows
XP Pro. clients. Sometimes (often) when users log on, they get an error
about a single file in their profile not being able to be copied to
their local profile, and then a message saying that their server profile
cannot be found. Whenever this occurs, the following appears in
/var/log/smbd:

[2004/03/02 20:47:31, 0] lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr(952)
  getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected

This problem also occurs when the server is otherwise being used - it is
noticeable in that the Windows clients freeze for roughly 30 seconds
whilst attempting to access the server. The above error message also
appears in the log.

Secondly, printers shared by the server (using CUPS as printer system),
have the tendancy to "disappear" from being shared after a week or so;
they reappear if smbd is restarted.

Any ideas?
Thanks,

Alex Meaden,