[Samba] [OT] DNSmasq - a simple solution for DNS and DHCP

Tarjei Huse tarjei at nu.no
Mon Mar 1 22:03:04 GMT 2004

Quoting John H Terpstra <jht at samba.org>:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Tarjei Huse wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to make Sambaadmins aware of the simple and powerfull program
> > dnsmasq.
> >
> > It makes setting up a caching dnsserver + dhcp-server that maps local
> machines
> > to the local domain a breeze, something that is missing in the samba howto
> > collection (http://www.bibsyst.no/samba/docs/man/DNSDHCP.html#id2981727).
> The missing chapters will all be committed to CVS on April 5th, the date
> the I expect to obtain Prentice Hall approval to release the entire
> "The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide" to public CVS.
Yppi! :-)
> > I've been running it for two months now, so I felt it was time to recomend
> it to
> > others.
> What benefits does this provide that a local DHCP and DNS server can not
> provide?

Dnsmasq is a local dnsserver.

It is not, however a fullblown implement-all-rfc's DNS server like Bind or a
fullblown DHCP-server. However, it delivers most of the things you need if
you're a local admin who has to set this up:
- It provides simple caching dns
- a viable DHCP'server that throws the hosts into the local dnsserver. (this
gives a speedup when browsing samba-networks I think).
- a simple local dns (it reads the entries out of /etc/hosts)

So it just saves me (and you) hours of hacking bind and dhcpd configfiles. I
thought that was worth telling about.

Tarjei

> - John T.

> > Disclaimer:
> > I am not affiliated with the project in any way, but a simple solution for
> > combining dns and dhcp has bugged me for so long that I thought others
> might
> > like this tip.
> >
> > Tarjei
> >

> --