[Samba] [OT] DNSmasq - a simple solution for DNS and DHCP

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Mar 1 21:11:22 GMT 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Tarjei Huse wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to make Sambaadmins aware of the simple and powerfull program
> dnsmasq.
>
> It makes setting up a caching dnsserver + dhcp-server that maps local machines
> to the local domain a breeze, something that is missing in the samba howto
> collection (http://www.bibsyst.no/samba/docs/man/DNSDHCP.html#id2981727).

The missing chapters will all be committed to CVS on April 5th, the date
the I expect to obtain Prentice Hall approval to release the entire
"The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide" to public CVS.

> I've been running it for two months now, so I felt it was time to recomend it to
> others.

What benefits does this provide that a local DHCP and DNS server can not
provide?

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra