[Samba] Can't login to Samba PDC

Scott Gross SGross at newsgroupwest.com
Mon Mar 1 19:07:24 GMT 2004

Sorry, when I was hitting reply I thought it was going back to the list not
just to you.  I wasn't paying attention to the address line in the e-mail.

I'm not using the windows wizard to join the domain but I am doing the join
from the windows workstation.  I'm not big on some of the wizards so I use
the change button (from windows XP computer name screen) or the properties
button (from Win2K network identification screen).  The computer is being
added to the _COMPUTERS_ container in my LDAP with the appropriate trailing
$ (uid=fife3400sales02$,ou=_COMPUTERS_).  The domain portion of all SID's is
the same (User-Group-Computer-sambaDomainName).  When the workstation tries
to authenticate the user I can see the connection to IPC$ on the samba
server.  'uid=root,ou=_USERS_' is a sambaSamAccount and is a member of
'cn=Domain Users,ou=_GROUPS_'.   I did just notice that 'cn=Domain
Computers,ou=_GROUPS_' doesn't have any members in it.  Do I need to add the
computers to this group?