[Samba] CUPS printers not visible, strange behaviour

Eric Dorland ericd at primonics.com
Tue Jun 29 21:05:12 GMT 2004

Hello all,

I've done this before before so I'm a bit confused, but I've upgraded from 2.2
to 3.0.4 on a debian woody box (samba 3.0.4 from backports.org). I also have
cups 1.1.20 backport as well. I've set up printing using cups (should be simple
right?) but no printers appear when I browse the computer from a W2k machine.
rpcclient -c "enumprinters" gives me "No printers returned.". If I turn the log
level to 3 however I see in the smbd.log:

adding printer service hpcolor
adding printer service checks
adding printer service hpps

Which are the names of the three printers. If I browse to the printer with
\\apollo\hpcolor it prompts me to install the printer, but then craps out saying
the printer is not connected to the network.

Below are the relevant portions of my smb.conf. I'm at my wit's end...

[global]

# Do something sensible when Samba crashes: mail the admin a backtrace
# wins server = 192.168.204.1
 wins support = yes
 name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
 domain master = no
 allow hosts = 192.168.204. 127.
 dns proxy = yes
 protocol = NT1
 socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
 load printers = yes
 printing = cups
 printcap name = /var/run/cups/printcap
 printer admin = rootnt
 preferred master = no
 password server = BETA ATLAS
 interfaces = 192.168.204.0/255.255.255.0
 domain logons = no
 security = domain
 server string = File+Print
 workgroup = PRIMONICS
 local master = no
 debug timestamp = no
 log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
# netbios name = dc0fp1
# netbios aliases = apollo dc0fp1
 netbios name = apollo
 os level = 31
 public = yes
 default = homes
 encrypt passwords = true
 passdb backend = tdbsam guest
 message command = csh -c �xedit %s;rm %s� &
 log level = 3
 dead time = 15
 getwd cache = yes
 oplocks = no