[Samba] can't join the Domain

Reinhard Sojka reinhard.sojka at parlinkom.gv.at
Thu Jun 17 16:45:31 GMT 2004

Hi,

>#net join -U admin at domain_name
>
>[2004/06/17 10:04:27] param/loadparm.c:map_parameter
>  Unknown parameter encountered: "realm"
>[2004/06/17 10:04:27] param/loadparm.c:lp_do_parameter
>  Ignoring unknown parameter "realm"
>
>Unable to find a suitable server
>
>Unable to find a suitable server

Not sure about the error message, but it may point to a typical
Solaris-Samba-LDAP problem.
Unfortunately Samba doesn't compile or work with some of the libraries
supplied by Sun, so one has to compile against OpenLDAP libraries and
MIT- or Heimdal-Kerberos. As a result LD_LIBRARY_PATH must be set up
correctly before joining the ADS and LD_LIBRARY_PATH should also be in
the startup script. (Yes, I know it sounds stupid, but this is the main
difference compared with a Linux installation an it is not mentionied in
the original post)

To be sure everything is OK, do checks with "ldd" and have a look at
config.status and config.log in the Samba source directory.

hope this helps,
Reinhard

--
Reinhard Sojka <reinhard.sojka at parlinkom.gv.at>