[Samba] Authentication and Joining failing after a time.

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Thu Jun 3 16:00:58 GMT 2004

I have a Samba Domain that did migration from:

3.0.0 -> 3.0.2 -> 3.0.2a ->3.0.4

It is a very healthy machine it is running on. A heavily updated RedHat
7.2 machine. I have rebuilt newer source SRPM to update it. Pretty much
updated piece meal since forever, and probably is updated e"enough". It
is lean, as I do not believe in Garbage installs.

But, the point of this is: About a week after installing the
3.0.4-1_rh73, this domain has to be restarted ever ~4-6 hours to fix
Authentication issues. When first restarted (not kill -1, but ->stop
->start) I can have my Win9X Clients authenticate just fine. I can also
Join and manage things just fine. But after a certain point this Domain
will not authenticate my Win9X, or Win2KP or WinXPP. Nor can I do any
domain admin. If the machines are already authenticated and not
restarted/rebooted or logged out, they do just fine.

But, here is the sticking point. Which is why I am baffled.

My W2KP and WXPP machine that are not part of the domain (the ones I am
trying to join that is) Can map a share from the same server that is the
PDC, without error. Can also print just fine using manual mapping (net
use  etc...), I do not have ADS on site in use, am using WINS for
resolution. I have currently back-revvd to 3.0.2a. I have also tried
hand configured and compiled versions as well. Including build 977 from
SVN. I have resorted to drastic measures, scheduling restarts in cron at
slow/break/lunch times. This is an ugly solution. And causes havoc with
a file-based DB we are using.

This is the first time I have encountered this kind of an issue with
Samba that was not (at least I hope) a configuration problem. What do I
need to do and provide to get the proper information to anyone on the
list so perhaps a resolution can be done? I am unsure of what and how
things need to be done to "debug" this.

Your help is most greatly appreciated in advance.
greg at gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup