[Samba] Lock ups?

Chris samba at hal.kaos.gen.nz
Wed Jun 2 08:52:54 GMT 2004

I'm still having this problem despite tweaking various things on my XP
client and a few things on the Debian Samba server. It must be a Samba
problem becasue I get the same effect on two different XP clients and one
Linux client.

The network layer is fine (all cards swaped round and/or replaced. Switch
replaced and there are no ethernet errors. Locked at 100 meg full duplex
throughout on all cards. (I must say it's the fastest network I've created
after all this farking about).

I have put up an ethereal capture taken during one of the pauses if anyone
cares to have a look. I'm seeing what looks (to my untrained samba
eye) like funny behavior. The trace
was started after the "freeze" started. It lasted about 10 second during
which the Samba server was unresponsive. The Debian samba server is
192.168.1.100 and the XP client is 192.168.1.3

http://www.kaos.gen.nz/capture/lock-up.cap

(400k)

I'm seeing normal traffic till the lock.. then some trans2 response
<unknown>. packets...

then at packet 18 the pause ended and I see some error "status cancel"
messages (god only knows) and some SMB close requests.. then everything
comes right and the data starts streaming as normal.

Anyone got any suggestions?