[Samba] Samba 3 smbstatus not as good

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Jul 31 12:54:27 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 01:05, Tom Schaefer wrote:
> I use a lot of "force user" and "force group" directives on various
> shares.  With smbstatus of Samba 2 I could always verify with a glance
> what uid and gid a particular service is being accessed as, with Samba 3
> you can't.  I'd REALLY like to see that come back to smbstatus.
>
> Here's a real world example of my complaint...

> Basically this message is just a plea to the Samba developers to put back
> the uid and gid information.

The problem is, that information is not valid, except in
'security=share' and 'force user' cases.  In all other cases, the user
that connects to the share is not necessarily connected to the user
actually accessing the share.

This is why the information was split up the way it has been.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at samba.org
Authentication Developer, Samba Team            http://samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net