[Samba] Trouble authenticating clients from ADS domain on Samba 3.0.5 file server

Chris Goff cgoff at nles.k12.wi.us
Fri Jul 30 20:27:44 GMT 2004

I'm so close I can feel it :-)

I'm having a problem connecting users to their home directories. Under "My
Network Places" on XP clients I can see my Samba file server ("Hobbes")
just fine. When I double click on it to open it, I get a login/password
prompt that I can't bypass even though I try logins/passwords that exist
on the ADS server and/or the UNIX accounts. Do I have to add these users
under Samba specifically?

I am joined to the ADS domain, I can pull users/groups from wbinfo -t, -u,
and -g. When I use webmin I can even go into the Samba module to add users
to a share and see all the users from my ADS domain pop up in a window.

Here's a copy of my smb.conf (where I think my problem might lie):

workgroup = NLES
realm = NLES.LOCAL
security = ads
password server = calvin.nles.local
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
os level = 10
dns proxy = No
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
template shell = /bin/bash
winbind separator = +
winbind use default domain = Yes

[homes]
comment = %U Home Folder
path = /home/%u
valid users = %U cgoff administrator
# force user = %u
writeable = yes
browseable = no

I think my problem is with the [homes] share, but I'm not sure. Can anyone
give me any pointers on what my issue might be? As I said I can talk to
the ADS server just fine, seeing lists of users and groups. I'm almost
positive I'm not setting up my shares correctly.

Chris Goff
NLES Network Administrator
cgoff at nles.k12.wi.us