[Samba] why join domain

brucehohl at access-4-free.com brucehohl at access-4-free.com
Sun Jul 25 17:52:30 GMT 2004

From: Greg Talbot <gtalbot at centerone.com>
> Bruce,
> I would implement a domain if you have 75 users.  3-5
> then no, but if you have been using NDS you are going to
> want more control over that many users, i.e. central
> logins, and even profile policies if you have to support
> the desktops.  Plus centralizing helps with change
> management in the event you have to move directories, and
> even creating users remotely.

Thanks for the reply.  In hindsight maybe I should not have
asked this question on the list.  I have every intention of
creating a domain primarily to achieve single sign on.  But
computer accounts and domain logons are not needed to take
advantage of single sign on.

The question I was really asking was under Samba what other
*important* benefits could I also take advantage of if I
joined each PC to the domain and used domain logons for the
users.

In this regard here's what I see:
1 - Any user can log on from any PC.
2 - Computer/Group/User policies.
3 - Roaming profiles.

These capabilites are likely of limited value for *my*
environment - lots of professionals who have their own PCs
(not shared), and desire and can handle restriction free use
of the PCs.  Besides that, as a senior manager at the
company I can be *very* persuasive in getting users to treat
their PC's responsibly.  Some of the best control solutions
involve management setting the right tone and environment.