[Samba] security = ADS

Tom Skeren tms3 at fskklaw.com
Thu Jul 22 20:07:22 GMT 2004

Yes I've seen this behavior a LOT.  I've replied to it.  For some
reason, the Samba when joined to ads needs to contacted for shares by IP
addy.  The XP shares then authenticate properly.

Try \\ipaddy-samba-server\share-name.  If you connect, do a netstat -an
on the samba server.  You'll see the XP box connected to port 445.  I
suspect that in an ads environment, the XP boxes default to connecting
to shares on 445.  I suspect smbd, or nmbd are mishandling this when
netbios names are used.