[Samba] changing passwords with pam_winbind.so

Mat Allgood mallgood at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 21:46:41 GMT 2004

>From what I can find in the archives I don't see an answer to this,
plus the keywords are just so common that it makes it impossible to
sift though all the information, so I thought I would  ask.
I have a working smb.conf and windbind is working just fine.  I am
authentication users to a Win2K machine which is the PDC.  The
authentication is working just fine.  Its the password changes that
are making life hard.  I am doing pass through authentication for POP
and IMAP to the 2k machine, but I need a way to change the password
via PAM, eg a pam password module that works.  I have the following
setup in my pop pam file:

auth     sufficient     pam_winbind.so
auth     required       pam_unix_auth.so use_first_pass
account  sufficient     pam_winbind.so
account  required       pam_unix_acct.so use_first_pass
password required       pam_unix_passwd.so
session  required       pam_unix_session.so

as I said, this works.  Now, when I try to change the password via the
same winbind pam module, it won't change.  The strange part is
smbpasswd works fine when called as
'smbpasswd -r (PDC NAME) username'.
Am I running around in circles trying to get something to work that won't?
I've considered writing my own PAM interface based on the smbpasswd
code and a pam password module.  Any thoughts?

Thanks all,

Mat Allgood