[Samba] Re: Samba/LDAP/PDC Questions

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Wed Jul 21 13:53:04 GMT 2004

> |         1. In what situtation do I need People group as the group for
> | machines?
>
> In the case where you use:
> nss_base_passwd        ou=Users,dc=ab,dc=com?one
>
> If you use:
> nss_base_passwd        dc=ab,dc=com?sub

Would people please stop suggesting this without explaining the
ramifications?  If you do this, you are going to (theoretically)(1)
severely harm the performance on your server.  Setting the nss library
to do a search on the 'entire' directory every time it needs to look up
user information is asinine to put it in a word.  It's like doing this
in DNS terms... rather than looking for a machine named
'something.else.com' in the dns servers for else.com you go ask .com who
then goes in and asks else.com by proxy.  Doing the first example (the
one searching with ?one) you are restricting searches to a respectable
scope, doing the second you are searching all OUs which may be numerous
and deep (in our LDAP tree we have 10 OUs, two of which are at least 3
levels deep).

You would be better served by defining ou=Computers and ou=People under
something like ou=Accounts (which would give you DNs of
ou=Computers,ou=Accounts,dc=ab,dc=com and
ou=People,ou=Accounts,dc=ab,dc=com)

and then then set:
nss_base_passwd        ou=Accounts,dc=ab,dc=com?sub

Note that I'm not saying that doing a sub search is necessarily bad,
just when you are searching your entire ldap DIT, especially for
something that happens as often as passwd lookups.

(1) I say theoretically because I've never tried it, it's a Bad Idea(C)
from the word go.   There are a lot of other things that I haven't tried
that are bad ideas but I can safely say they are also dangerous, such as
sticking forks in my eyes and jumping off cliffs.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.