[Samba] Re: Samba/LDAP/PDC Questions

Buchan Milne bgmilne at obsidian.co.za
Wed Jul 21 12:01:32 GMT 2004

| Subject:
| [Samba] Samba/LDAP/PDC Questions
| From:
| ksun at ABINITIO.COM
| Date:
| Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:10:29 +0000 (UTC)
| To:
| samba at lists.samba.org
|
| Greetings!
|
| I created a Samba/OpenLDAP/smbldap-tools Primary Domain Controller. So
far
| I am able to do the folowing:
|         1. Using USRMGR,EXE to administrating users and groups.
|         2. Adding Windows 2000, XP workstation on the fly.
|         3. PDBEDIT/SMBLDAP-TOOLS/GQ all works as they suppose to.
|         4. LDAP autheticate unix accounts.
|
| However, I am not able to to the following:
|         1. Cannot joint an NT machine (SP6a) into the domwin. It keeps
| saying that "the Machine account is not available or not accessible" even
| if I manually added the machine account manually using "smbldap-useradd
| NT$".
|         2. Cannot use SRVMGR.EXE to add machine to domain. It complains
| "Access Denied", though I can do other things like change the permission
| of a share etc."
|         3. Cannot join an existing domain after I configure it as a BDC
| with the PDC's SID. It complains "Failed to setup BDC creds".
|
| It looks like the communication between samba and openldap is OK since I
| can managing user/group with USRMGR.EXE. However, a few questions puzzles
| me:
|         1. In what situtation do I need People group as the group for
| machines?

In the case where you use:
nss_base_passwd        ou=Users,dc=ab,dc=com?one

If you use:
nss_base_passwd        dc=ab,dc=com?sub

then you can have machine accounts anywhere you like under dc=ab,dc=com

Regards,
Buchan
- --
Buchan Milne                      Senior Support Technician
Obsidian Systems                  http://www.obsidian.co.za
B.Eng                                RHCE (803004789010797)