[Samba] Re: PDC without profiles?

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Tue Jul 20 12:51:34 GMT 2004

Michael Lueck wrote:

>> Also remember, every change you make to a client is one more thing to
>> screw up
>

> If you're going to compute that way, then put the computer back in the
> box and leave it on the client's desk and tell them to never open the
> box! ;-)

When doing sysadmin isn't your only job, and/or there are systems that
get sent to remote locations, you'll change your tune...  (without the
software you obviously have,  that I should probably remind that some
places just cannot afford)  Nothing is worse than either :
A. being 2 hours deep into a thought process programming and then having
some user come bug you because <barely used/often neglected feature X>
doesn't work for them because of some obscure configuration issue.
B. Sending a machine offsite where you don't have access to it and
finding some tweak you do for everyone in the office but forgot to do to
their machine, couple that with a user that cannot deal with a little
phone walkthrough and you have a fun day ahead of you.

That, in a nutshell, is why *I* advocate to change the server whenever
possible.  You got to buy some fantastic software, and I have to fight
to buy a new mouse... I would guess many smallish businesses have the
same situation.

>> although in this case it sounds as if you're doing it automatically.
>

> Ja, of course! Das is good! I would want to run around to thousands of
> computers and try to configure them all the same way by hand why...???
> I could easilly forget steps on this machine or that one, slight
> configuration details to drive me insain when one computer out of the
> bunch does not work properly. Automatically with LOGGING as the truth
> is in the logs... many automated systems skimp on logs... shame shame
> shame on them.

So do us a favor and let us in on what you're using in case anyone else
wants to know...

--
Paul Gienger                     Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.