[Samba] Compareing backends

Collen Blijenberg collen at hermanjordan.nl
Thu Jul 15 12:00:27 GMT 2004

Well we're using the mysql-backend for a small year now,
and all works well, there is a way to make the mysql-server
replicate with the bdc-sql  and vice versa.
pdc <-> bdc  (noth way's)
speed, hmm no complains here, but we have 120 workstations and a 1000 users.
guess if you need more power (more users and ws) ldap is indeed a good choice.

i've seen discussions like these before, and there are several party's who are
convinced that ldap is the thing..?
why dunno.. coz'  with mysql you can link several other things to it as well.
we expanded our mysql-backend, so it can use it for our print-account's
aswell.
depens on how handy someone is with linux and computers.. ?!

guess we all have to make choices on how we make things work for us.
but basicly, tdbsam -> small user/computer network
                  mysql   -> medium user/network
                  ldap      -> medium/big user/network

the benefid of ldap is that when the full ads-server is implemented in samba
this would be the backend to use, coz it's based on it..

have fun and good luck.