[Samba] Compareing backends

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Thu Jul 15 13:27:25 GMT 2004

Collen Blijenberg wrote:

>Well we're using the mysql-backend for a small year now,
>and all works well, there is a way to make the mysql-server
>replicate with the bdc-sql  and vice versa.
>pdc <-> bdc  (noth way's)
>speed, hmm no complains here, but we have 120 workstations and a 1000 users.
>guess if you need more power (more users and ws) ldap is indeed a good choice.
>
>i've seen discussions like these before, and there are several party's who are
>convinced that ldap is the thing..?
>why dunno.. coz'  with mysql you can link several other things to it as well.
>we expanded our mysql-backend, so it can use it for our print-account's
>aswell.
>depens on how handy someone is with linux and computers.. ?!
>
>guess we all have to make choices on how we make things work for us.
>but basicly, tdbsam -> small user/computer network
>                  mysql   -> medium user/network
>                  ldap      -> medium/big user/network

You would call yourself small?  Personally we use(or will once I get to
putting it in) LDAP for maybe 50 workstations, maybe 65 users, 3 xDC
servers, but a whole buttload of linux and solaris boxes that never
touch samba.  There's a couple of things for us that seal it.
1. Auth without using samba (that is, pam, I don't see much movement on
the pam_sql front)
2. (fairly quick) replication over wan links
3. Lightweight, afterall, it's the L in LDAP
4. Very cross platform.  Solaris comes with ldap support (barely) in 8,
(kinda works) in 9. I'm pretty sure that most non-windows platforms come
with LDAP built in and ready to go.
5-1000 Works pretty much out of the box.  We didn't have to write a
couple hundred scripts for feature X that comes standard with other
backends.  The mail server just talks to it, autofs just talks to it.
And now samba just talks to it, of course once you work it in with the
schema, etc.  but you have to do that for autofs from redhat, they just
do it for you.

A lot of people seem to want to build things as complex as possible to
show how cool they are.  Others use out of the box packages and move on
to other tasks.  Statements like 'there are ways to do X' send a shiver
down my spine unless I can do a 'man <command>' and find the way to do
it.  There are lots of reasons to build your own layers of tech, but
something like system authentication which will make everyone yell if it
breaks isn't one of them here.

It's like vi vs emacs.  I think emacs is a horribly bloated POS. Other
people use it to wash the kitchen sink.  Booyah for them.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office:		701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.         Cell:			701-306-6254