[Samba] Enum printers slow in general... -> Re: 6 second delay for File / Print dialog to come up

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Wed Jul 14 21:31:52 GMT 2004

I've been digging further on this...

Turned logging back up to 10. Reboot Win2K client, open notepad, etc... delete all logs, File/Print, and when the dialog finally comes up quick open the log to see what happened. 6128 lines of log
just for three network printers!

I have time stamping turned on in the logging, and I only catch about 3 seconds worth of traffic, that does not account for ALL of the 6 to 7 second delay.

I saw some entries that it could not get the workstation to answer up as a server, ja, we turn off the server service on non-servers. Turned it back on, log entries went away, not the delays.

Are these Win2K/XP style (spoolless) printers just that slow in general?

WordPerfect is major painful as it reformats each file you open for the selected printer, and how does it know the printer... it enum's the printers... six seconds here, six seconds there... so much
for 3GHz client PC's! ;-)

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems