[Samba] Re: Access Denied touching shared CUPS printer

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Fri Jul 9 17:42:46 GMT 2004

Most Ugly! In Google'ing around it seems this "Access Denied" is a known issue with Win2K/XP clients, CUPS printers, etc...

So, use printerui.dll to force install the printer driver and assign to a local LPT1 port. Add a port registry key, and the update the port in two spots under the printer instance. Finally stop/start
the spooler task. Scrptable yet ugly.

Most Ugly! Ah, Samba team... does this topic need some pizza applied to it? Please advise.

What's the bug anyway? Something to do with CUPS? It seems there are not "lots" of people bumping into this, thus makes me think other printing methods are not affected. I was quite pleased with HOW
EASY this setup was going along, until slamming into the Access Denied issue. RAW spooling looked way cool, Samba enum'ing the CUPS queues, etc...

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems