[Samba] Profiles upload but don't download?

Joshua Ginsberg joshg at brainstorminternet.net
Thu Jul 8 23:26:54 GMT 2004

Hello --

I'm testing out using 3.0.3 from the Fedora Core 2 distro (recompiled
from SRPM to include ldapsam) as a PDC with an OpenLDAP backend. I've
got the PDC functions working excellently. I've got Roaming Profiles
(with the PDC as the profile host) partially working, but I can't get
the full functionality I want.

I have two test workstations that I'm working with. I joined the first
(XP Pro SP 1) to the domain, rebooted, and logged in using a normal user
account authenticated off of the PDC. A new, blank roaming profile was
created. On the desktop I made an empty folder for testing purposes. I
then logged out.

I then joined the second machine (XP Pro) to the domain, rebooted, and
logged in using the same normal user account. The empty folder appeared
on the desktop as expected. As another test, I deleted the folder and
then logged out.

I looked on the PDC in the folder where the empty folder was created,
and though that empty folder had been deleted from the second
workstation and the profile supposedly saved, the folder remained on the
PDC. I manually deleted the empty folder from the command line on the
PDC.

Then I logged back into the first workstation. The empty folder existed
on the Desktop even though it didn't exist on the PDC. I logged back out
of the first workstation and looked at the PDC again. The first
workstation in saving the profile recreated the empty folder on the PDC.

Then I logged back into the first workstation again where the empty
folder reappeared on the desktop. I then deleted the folder from the
desktop and logged out. The PDC still has the empty folder, however
logging back into the first workstation I see that it does not.

So as a final test, I logged into the second workstation and created a
new empty folder on the desktop and then logged out. The new empty
folder did appear on the PDC. Then I logged back into the second
workstation and renamed the new empty folder I had created. After
logging out and looking at the PDC, I find that the PDC has two copies
of that empty folder, one with the name when it was created, and one
with the renamed name.

The net effect I'm observing is that I can't seem to get either of the
two machines to refresh their copies of the Roaming Profile from the
PDC. The machines will push their profiles back onto the PDC, but only
new files -- any ones deleted or renamed aren't reflected on the PDC.

I've tried going into MMC and enabling the "Delete cached copies of
Roaming Profiles on Logout" flag, but it doesn't seem to have an effect.

Any suggestions on how to get these profiles to properly synchronize
themselves on login and logout? The smbd.log doesn't appear to contain
any useful information. Thanks!

-jag

--
Joshua Ginsberg <joshg at brainstorminternet.net>