[Samba] Samba doesn't ask for a password

Tim Tait t.tait at comcast.net
Mon Jul 12 16:46:29 GMT 2004

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

>On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 12:52, Tim Tait wrote:
>

>>Udo wrote:
>>

>>>and I can see and edit the files of this users' home directory on the Linux
>>>(Samba) server. I can even open \\vovo\horst, which is the other users'
>>>home, but read-only in that case. But I need samba to ask for a password,
>>>

>>I had the same problem. You need to add a path statement to the [homes]
>>share: "path = /home/%U" for example. That forces it to be the directory
>>of the logged in user (%U).
>>

>This is really bad advise.  If you want to restrict access to home
>directories, they appropriate syntax is:
>
>[homes]
>	valid users = %S
>
>Once a user is correctly authenticated with 'user level' security, it is
>not possible for Samba to force re-authentication, only access control.
>
>If you set 'security=share' (and accept the consequences that imposes)
>then passwords are required per-share, which may be closer to what is
>wanted here.
>
>Andrew Bartlett

Andrew, thanks for the clarification. This had come up on the list a few
weeks ago, and the change in path was the only solution offerred. I see
now that I should have done a little more RTM, as it is covered in
15.5.2 of the HOW-TO as well as in the man page for smb.conf.

At least in my case I don't want samba users to be able to graze the
homes, but I don't mind if unix login users can. And I do want full user
level security.

Tim