[Samba] Re: Net rpc user add and the "-F" flag.

Nicolas Costes nicolas.costes at iut-laroche.univ-nantes.fr
Thu Jul 8 16:55:42 GMT 2004

Le jeudi 8 Juillet 2004 18:39, Paul Gienger a écrit :

> Maybe the man pages on unix are different from the ones online, but I
> doubt it.  I used the web page
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages.html as a start.

Ok, i'll check that.

> Maybe a more complete example of what you're trying to get at is in
> order... Are you trying to set the contents of those fields or create
> the directories that will correspond to them?

Well, I think I haven't explained it correctly, sorry.

So, I've got 2 servers. One runs NT (Maybe 2K and AD in a few months) and is
our PDC. The other is running Linux+Samba, and is a file server using
Winbind and "security=domain".
Last year, I created the users account with a crappy DOS + NtResKit batch
script on the PDC (From a text file containing names), then exported the
text file to the Samba file server to process it with a bash script to
create the homedirs, setting permissions, etc... Thank the winbind bringing
NT account into Linux. Fine.
Now, this year, i'm trying to create these accounts ONLY from the Samba file
server, using net rpc commands. I managed to create accounts on the NT
domain, as I said, but they are a little... Empty ;-) -> No password set,
no HomeDrive, no HomePath, no ProfilePath,...

So, maybe I can "fill the fields" of the NT accounts remotely, using some
samba commands ?

And, definitely, my PDC is the NT one, not the Samba server (That would have
been easier, huh ? ;-)).

> If the former, you probably want pdbedit with an option like so:
>
> -h homedir
>
>     This option can be used while adding or modifing a user account. It
>     will specify the user's home directory network path.
>
>     Example: *-h "\\\\BERSERKER\\sorce"*
>
> If the latter, why not just use the script you're apparently trying to
> write to create the directory? If it's on a different machine, use an
> ssh command.  If it's on a windows box, you could probably smbmount the
> parent and then create the dir.  Maybe after a clearer explanation it
> will make sense, but for now it sounds like you're trying to use a
> hammer to turn in a screw.

No, don't worry, it isn't the case ;-)
And I guess that pdbedit only woks on the local Samba machine when it is the
PDC... ?

Btw, thanks :-)

- --
   ,,