[Samba] Re: Net rpc user add and the "-F" flag.

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Thu Jul 8 16:39:08 GMT 2004

Nicolas Costes wrote:

>Back from the pdbedit manual...
>
>Le jeudi 8 Juillet 2004 16:21, Paul Gienger a écrit :
>

>> From the man page on the net command
>>
>>[RPC|ADS] USER ADD name [password] [-F user flags] [-C comment]
>>

>>The -F then would seem to set the flags.  THIS part is not documented
>>very intuitively, but is available, in the man page for pdbedit
>>

>Well, I got there, and I can't see any of the following lines... How did you
>manage to guess that the information is in this man page ?

Maybe the man pages on unix are different from the ones online, but I
doubt it.  I used the web page
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages.html as a start.

>><liberal use of snip>
>>

>It must be, because as I said, I can't find any of the following in that man
>page. So, I tried to use some of these options into the "net user add"
>command, after the "-F" flag, but it keeps returning me "usage()" :-(
>
>Could you give me an example of what you think is the actual syntax to this
>flag ? Say, for example, creating a user specifying is homedrive, homepath,
>profilepath, etc... Some thing like :
>
># net rpc user add TestUser -F ????? -U administrator -S server

Maybe a more complete example of what you're trying to get at is in
order... Are you trying to set the contents of those fields or create
the directories that will correspond to them?

If the former, you probably want pdbedit with an option like so:

-h homedir

    This option can be used while adding or modifing a user account. It
    will specify the user's home directory network path.

    Example: *-h "\\\\BERSERKER\\sorce"*

If the latter, why not just use the script you're apparently trying to
write to create the directory? If it's on a different machine, use an
ssh command.  If it's on a windows box, you could probably smbmount the
parent and then create the dir.  Maybe after a clearer explanation it
will make sense, but for now it sounds like you're trying to use a
hammer to turn in a screw.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office:		701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.         Cell:			701-306-6254