[Samba] Re: smbpasswd and ldap problem

Jim C. jcllings at javahop.com
Wed Jul 7 19:42:57 GMT 2004

Well, I don't know about 2.2.x but ldapssl is on by default in Samba 3.
Assumeing both your samba server and your ldap server are on the same
box, consider setting it to off in smb.conf.

Nicolas Ecarnot wrote:

| Hi,
|
| I recently upgraded a working samba server from 2.2.8a to 2.2.9_1 under
| FreeBSD 5.1R. This is still working expept a ldap problem.
|
| Here is what's happening :
|
| server# smbpasswd myUser
| New SMB password:
| Retype new SMB password:
| LDAPS option set...!
| ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as ""
| Bind failed: Can't contact LDAP server
| Failed to find entry for user myUser.
| Failed to modify password entry for user myUser
|
| The user 'myUser' already exists in the smbpasswd file, I just want to
| change its password.
| Please note that the problem appears exactly the same when trying to add
| a user with a '-a' option.
|
| It seems that I compiled ldap (well, the automated package installer of
| freebsd), and I like it. I forecast that I will use samba one day, but
| not yet.
|
| Is it possible to have a samba compiled with the ldap support, but not
| be forced to use it? Is there an option in smb.conf to tell samba to
| avoid bothering me with these ldap add-ons?
|
| If not, what can I do to make him play with its ldap things, but
| actually still use the good old smbpasswd file we all know?
|
| Thank you.

- --

| I can be reached on the following Instant Messenger services: |
| MSN: j_c_llings at hotmail.com  AIM: WyteLi0n  ICQ: 123291844 	|
| Y!: j_c_llings               Jabber: jcllings at njs.netlab.cz	|