[Samba] smbpasswd and ldap problem

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas.ecarnot at accim.com
Wed Jul 7 09:48:45 GMT 2004

Hi,

I recently upgraded a working samba server from 2.2.8a to 2.2.9_1 under
FreeBSD 5.1R. This is still working expept a ldap problem.

Here is what's happening :

server# smbpasswd myUser
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
LDAPS option set...!
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as ""
Bind failed: Can't contact LDAP server
Failed to find entry for user myUser.
Failed to modify password entry for user myUser

The user 'myUser' already exists in the smbpasswd file, I just want to
change its password.
Please note that the problem appears exactly the same when trying to add
a user with a '-a' option.

It seems that I compiled ldap (well, the automated package installer of
freebsd), and I like it. I forecast that I will use samba one day, but
not yet.

Is it possible to have a samba compiled with the ldap support, but not
be forced to use it? Is there an option in smb.conf to tell samba to
avoid bothering me with these ldap add-ons?

If not, what can I do to make him play with its ldap things, but
actually still use the good old smbpasswd file we all know?

Thank you.

--
Nicolas Ecarnot