[Samba] Samba and SuSE 9.1?

Fulvio PentiuX zorrykid at email.it
Tue Jul 6 17:16:48 GMT 2004

Hi everyone,

I have so many problems with samba on one PC with SuSE 9.1 on.

This PC is on a local area network with another PC with SuSE 9.0 on it
with a working samba connection, and some windows clients.
My 9.1 PC has an ASUS P4S800 motherboard and I use the integrated
Asustek sis900 ethernet lan configured as eth0 with the sis900 module.
Static IP and static gateway (the SuSE 9.0 machine).
I'm able to surf the net without any problem, with my eth0. I ping-ed so
many clients on the same networks for hours... no problems.
I surfed internet (via eth0 and SuSE 9.0 as gateway) for long time, no
problems.
But when I start a samba connection involving the SuSE 9.1 PC, from the
9.1 machine or from the 9.0 machine or from some win machine as well, it
works  but just after some while I have all my network dropped down... I
can't surf, I can't ping anything. Just dead!
All my network is down, and I'm not able to see the net anymore, not
only the samba connections!

I really need some help, or something to try, 'cos I'm completely out of
resources.
Thank you very much in advance!

Fulvio

Some configuration files:

in /var/log/messages I have only:
server kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: trasmit timed out
server kernel: eth0: Trasmit timeout, status 00000000 00000260

in /var/log/samba/log.nmbd I have:
[2004/07/06 11:50:14, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:terminate(54)
Got SIGTERM: going down...
[2004/07/06 11:51:18, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(664)
Netbios nameserver version 3.0.2a-SUSE started

in /var/log/samba/log.smbd I can see only:
[2004/07/06 11:51:29, 0] smbd/server.c:main(748)
smbd version 3.0.2a-SUSE started

in /etc/samba:
lmhosts smbfstab smbpasswd smbusers are quite identical to ones in the
SuSE 9.0 machine (empty at all)

smb.conf should be very close to the SuSE 9.0 one, and there is:
# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
# version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SuSE
# Date: 2004-04-06
[global]
workgroup = Ragnatela
os level = 2
# interfaces = 127.0.0.1 eth0
# bind interfaces only = true
printing = cups
printcap name = cups
printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
map to guest = Bad User
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
server string = Server
add machine script =
domain master = false
domain logons = no
local master = no
preferred master = auto
ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=com
passdb backend = smbpasswd
time server = Yes
unix extensions = Yes
wins support = No
socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S
browseable = no
read only = No
guest ok = no
printable = no
[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/tmp
printable = yes
create mask = 0600
browseable = no
guest ok = no
[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
write list = @ntadmin root
force group = ntadmin
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0775
browseable = yes
guest ok = no
printable = no
[rete]
path = /home/server/Rete
comment = /home/server/Rete
writeable = yes
create mask = 0640
force user = server
public = yes
guest ok = yes
wide links = no
browseable = yes
printable = no

I tried to nmap from the SuSE 9.0 machine, ad I've got this:

Starting nmap 3.30 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-07-06 17:58
CEST
Interesting ports on 192.168.0.101:
(The 1183 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: filtered)
Port State Service (RPC) Owner
22/tcp open ssh
23/tcp closed telnet
25/tcp closed smtp
80/tcp closed http
110/tcp closed pop-3
113/tcp closed auth
137/tcp closed netbios-ns
138/tcp closed netbios-dgm
139/tcp open netbios-ssn
143/tcp closed imap2
443/tcp closed https
873/tcp closed rsync
993/tcp closed imaps
995/tcp closed pop3s

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 57.392 seconds
(but I tried to open the 137 and the 138 ports too, via YaST)

I just can say more that the shared samba disk space is on a software
RAID 1 partition, but without any problem used locally...

Thanks again!!!